Ultra HD Forum Guidelines
The Ultra HD Forum produces Guidelines to help the industry navigate the complex UHD landscape and focuses on end-to-end workflows from camera to consumer.
The Ultra HD Forum’s mission is thus to accelerate UHD service offerings by providing critical information to service providers and the industry as a whole.
Guidelines are available here for download at no cost, you don’t even need to leave us your email. We would however appreciate any feedback below :o)
UHD Phase A
Phase A Guidelines describes end-to-end processes for creating a linear UHD service using technologies that were commercially available by early 2016 and were first published in early 2016 (Version 1.5 released September 2018), they cover:
- End-to-end workflows for UHD services
- Resolutions of 1080p (with HDR) and 2160p
- HDR / WCG (PQ10, HLG10 and HDR10)
- Channel-based immersive audio
UHD Phase B
UHD Phase B Guidelines, released in April 2018 introduce and de-mystify next-gen UHD technologies that service operators identified as being of high interest. They include:
- Dual-layer HDR technologies
- Dynamic HDR Metadata systems (Dolby Vision & SL-HDR1)
- High Frame Rate (100/120 FPS)
- Next Generation Audio (Dolby AC-4 & MPEG-H Audio)
- Content-Aware Encoding
Phase B Guidelines show how these technologies can be implemented in a way that is backward compatible with Phase A decoders, which makes them attractive to operators.